Monday, July 6, 2009

CHILDHOOD MEMORY...................

This old log cabin holds some of my early childhood memories. This is the actual house my family live in from 1942 to 1946. The rear portion was added on after we moved. An old hand hug well provided our water needs until it went dry. Lucky for us we had an everlasting spring down in the hollow behind the house. That spring finds an early childhood memory for me that turned out to be a disaster for one young 5 year old.
Daddy had gathered up a couple of water buckets to go fill up down at the spring. Daddy, I want to go with you. No, son it's getting too dark and it's a steep climb down with many sharp rocks. You stay here !! I remember him telling me. Not to be outdone I waited till daddy had gone on his way a few minutes and I began to follow at a distance, Man, was it dark as I climbed down the path. Suddenly my feet flew out from under me and I was tumbling down the steep path. I finally came to a stop with blood gushing from my elbow. Daddy, daddy!! I called out into the night air. Soon daddy was at my side and picked me up and carried me back to the house. Mom was quick to attend to my badly cut elbow with bandages made from an old sheet. They watch me through the night and decided the next morning it was a good idea to take me to the doctor in Lynchburg. Daddy borrowed a neighbor's horse and buggy to take me some 6 miles to the doctor. It was so cool for a little boy of five to get to ride in a horse drawn buggy. We were poor and didn't even own a horse. No neighbors in the small community had cars or trucks. Man, we lived back in the sticks. At the doctors office I got several stitches in my wound under my elbow and still carry that scar. In those early childhood years when I asked if I could do something my daddy would always remind me of my fall. That was enough of a reminder to keep me from doing what I wasn't suppose to do. The old log cabin was torn down and a new modern brick sets near were we lived so many years ago. We once stopped and meet the couple that built the new home. They begin house keeping when they first married and it was they who built the back portion to the house. I guess that was what keep the old house from falling down.

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting story Nick. No horse and buggies around where I used to live...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually did get into some self inflicted trouble when we didn't mind what we were told didn't we? We did have a vehicle when I was small... It wasn't much, an old International pick up, but it got us to where we needed to go, most of the time... a good story Nick...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way, tell me no...and I'd try to do it anyway. Stubborn. weren't we? I am amazed my parents even still talk to me.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez oh man I didn't know you was so blasted old ...........LOL You had a bigger log cabin than Abe Lincoln had! Great story Nicko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick it was so interesting to hear where you started out from. It was hard times back then for a man with a family, The Depression was supposed to be over but jobs and housing were still hard to get over there, and in New Zealand as well, I heard from my parents. Our house in the fortys was small and old and I watched my father repairing and painting it. Much later on it got extended and modernised and I think it was from there I got my love of doing make-overs on old houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for you'll comments!! We don't know how far we have come in life till we look back on those hard early times in our lives. It was sure a struggle for Dad and Mom during those early years and It made us all stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. During those hard times...many families lived together. I think my grandpa had some land and a nice big home before the Crash..which he lost to the bank. Don't know what they did, but they survived, and got by with a lot of help from each other and neighbors. My Dad always seems to have good memories of his family back in those days...even tho it had to be tough times..everyone picked cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic picture! great story too. thanks for sharing memmories. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Story!! My dear Friend....
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story, Mr. Nick. Looking at the photo reminds me of the TV series I used to watch when I was a little girl. I know you know Little House on The Prairie. I love Michael Landon and even pretend I'm Melissa Gilbert. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete