Sunday, February 1, 2009

RAMBO RACCOON.....VS NICKO

124 magnify THIS IS A RERUN OF A SERIES OF BLOGS WITH MY BATTLE AGAINST A RACCOON. MIGHT ME MY BEST EFFORT ON BLOGGING.
We have lived in our house in the woods for 24 years and I can count on one hand the number of raccoons I have seen over those years. Each year some animal always causes trouble for us in some ways. This year deer have feasted on the okra in the garden. They have eaten the leaves off almost down to the ground. We only got one small mess of okra all season.
With two water gardens in the back yard with both plants and fish, everyone said watch out!!. In the last two weeks a raccoon has been active around both gardens causing havoc. One morning my wife found that something had dug most of the dirt and gravel and a plant out of it's pot in the water. The water was very muddy and the poor fish were hiding. This happened in the smaller pond. Over near the bigger pond there was a hole in the ground where last year as I mowed I disturbed a nest of yellow jackets. Yes, I got stung! How can such a small bee inflict such pain?? No, I'm not a wimp!!A rock was placed over the hole after I got rid of those bees and dirt place over the rock. Rambo, had dug up the rock to see what was there.
Small tracks across the new sealed driveway gave a clue to what was causing our problems. All the fish were still in the ponds but how long till Rambo discovers the fish? Go get us a trap I'm told by my wife. Off to Tractor Supply to buy a trap suitable for capturing Rambo Raccoon. Man am I in luck, a trap designed for raccoons and other creatures that size is on sale and you also get a smaller bonus trap free. $ 30 and I pick up some sardines for bait, that should attract him. Man those things stink!! That evening I set the trap and bait with sardines and place it near the small pond. Once that varmint enters the trap to eat those sardines and steps on the trigger Bam, down comes the door and he's caught. Maybe?? The next morning I'm out to see if I caught that varmint. Wrong!! The trap is turned over the bait gone and no raccoon in sight. Maybe he's an invisible raccoon. There isn't anyway he could get out?? Round one, Rambo 1- NickO O.
The next night I move the trap to the other side of the pond and bait and set it. I'll get him tonight?? About 4:00 am. I'm awaken by a loud crashing metal noise outside my open bedroom window. I've got him I'm thinking and go back to sleep. After my coffee when I get up I can't wait to see that varmint in the trap. To my sup rise the trap is 15 feet from where I placed it , bait gone, door shut and no Rambo. Rambo 2--NickO O. My wife had seen the varmint late one night and tells me it's not full grown, he's about the size of our cat. Ok, I'll set the smaller trap tonight. I have run out of sardines, that varmint is the best feed raccoon around. Tonight I'll bait the trap with dry cat food. Now I'm not a rocket scientist but I can outsmart a raccoon??. I also fixed the trap so it wouldn't move, I staked it to the ground. The next morning I can't wait to get outside and see if that varmint is in my trap. The door is down, the trigger is torn loose bait gone and no Rambo. He likes dry cat food though, that sucker ate it all!! Rambo 3- NickO O. At this time I'm calling this raccoon the Raccoon from Hell!! My wife didn't like this terminology!.
I'm tired of playing this game with this smart ass raccoon. Now it's WAR!! I was going to catch and release him about 10 or 12 miles from our house but this is WAR!!! Last night I set the alarm for 2: 30 am. I have my clothes, boots and gun out in the garage so I can slip out. My choice of weapon is a 410 shotgun. I've got bigger firepower if needed!!
The night air is cold as I can see my breath as I take a seat in a lawn chair with flashlight and gun in hand. My eyes and ears are on alert but after an hour all I see is Rusty our cat. A strange noise catches my attention. It sounds like it's coming from the small pond. Once at the pond I see what's causing the noise. That varmint has pulled the cord to the water fountain in the middle of the pond to the edge and has taken the head off that causes the water to spray in an umbrella effect. The pump has pumped almost all the water out of the pond but my wife's screens are still over the plants and fish. The noise I heard was the pump sucking air instead of water. Rambo 4-- NickO O.
Does anyone know a good HIT MAN I can Hire??? This ain't no game anymore. Stay tuned!!

8 comments:

  1. giggle, no hit man for hire here! ~smilies~d~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought these animals were so cute. But I guess saying that is like swearing in the church :)

    Why not try to be friendly to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart little crittters aren't they. Just stock the ponds with cheap fish or sardines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL! You tell such a wonderful tale, Nick! Love it! Don't worry, I know you'll outsmart Rambo yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL Nick, can't believe this, please hurry up with the next blog in the series!

    ReplyDelete