Friday, January 30, 2009

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES..............

233 magnify
How far back can a person remember during their childhood? Some people claim they can go back to age 2 or 3. But do they remember or did their parents tell these stories so many times that they are etched into their memory. I can only go back to when I was 5. After reading a blog by Victoria's memories from her childhood I was inspired to share some of mine.
All my early childhood was spent in a rural setting where Dad worked on farms. Playing in a large cornfield with my pet duck. Duck vanished, later in life I found out my duck was Christmas Dinner!! Times were hard!!
Going to work with Dad. Playing in a cornfield while he gathered corn and tossed it into the wagon. Having to go to the bathroom while he picked corn. Dad I got to go!! Son, go over under that tree near the fence. When I finished and was pulling up my overalls something was in my overalls. Daddy, daddy there is a lizard in my pants as I held it for my dear life with one hand. Dad comes to my rescue and pried my hand off what I just knew was a lizard. A small twig had fell from the tree into my overalls.
Playing too rough with my kitty and trying to revive it in a pan of water, hanging it up to dry, it didn't make it. I always wondered why??
Told not to go near the creek by Mom, came home wet and muddy. No I didn't go to the creek. On yeah, you did!!
I wanted to go with Dad one night to get water down in the hollow at the spring. Stay here it's too dark!! I stayed way behind so Dad wouldn't see me and slipped and fell on a sharp rock and cut my elbow real bad. Dad comes again to the rescue.
I get to ride in a borrowed horse and buggy the next morning to my first trip to a doctor. I still carry that scar!
Soldiers across the road, all over the hillside and hollow training for war. Gave us candy and C-rations.
Mom making soap in a large black pot over a fire in the yard.
Remembering the night my brother was born at home. A neighbor's retarded son running up and down the road the next morning announcing that Mrs. B. had a black baby boy. Mom didn't like this!!
We all have childhood memories some where in our head. Do you want to share some of yours?????

9 comments:

  1. I thought that you might like to read this Nick ?


    Comments made in the year 1955 ! That's only 53 years ago !

    'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20:00.
    'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000:00 will only buy a used one.
    'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 25 cents a pack is ridiculous.
    Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 10 cents just to mail a letter
    'If they raise the minimum wage to $1:00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.
    'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.
    'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.
    'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ....
    'Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.
    'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.
    'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.
    'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.
    'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.
    'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.
    'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.
    'There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15:00 a night to stay in a hotel.
    'No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35:00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.'
    'If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Nick, they are goofy memories you have aren't they. I guess you just held back on the ones where you were proud of yourself lol? Me thinks I have supressed all my goofups he he, but will have a think . I don't think I remember anything before 5 years old either.
    LOL at Milli's stories, yes things have truly changed in many ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of memories from 4 years of age. Thanks for sharing, good reading, and love Milli's 1955 comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pet Duck !!! LMAO I'm not sure the kitty killing was an accident,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved climbing the trees and sitting well hidden on a branch close to the trunk. It was a world of its own, and a great hiding place. This is a memory from I was 4 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can pretty easily remember several things back to when I was just barely 3... The picture on my page with my brother was just before my 3rd birthday and I can remember going to the studio and the photographer placing us and all the bright lights and the strange equipment.. and from the age of 4, my memories are pretty vivid..the exciting things like cousins coming for holidays, My aunt bringing my new baby cousin to our house and seeing her nurse the baby. I remember going to my brother's school parties with my Mother since she was always a Room Mother.. Another boy cracked an Easter egg on my head and it turned out to NOT be boiled... It ran down and messed up my Easter dress that Mother let me wear to the party.. I was so upset...I guess the worst memory was my brother and I slipping off from the house to watch my Dad bale hay after Mother told us not to. lol.. she came after us with a switch and we got it.... I could go on and on with this type of memory...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not very good with animals are you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Getting to know you, getting to learn all about you" :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nick these are good memories, here is one for you: There was a great climbing tree a huge Magnolia Tree (still standing today) my friends and I would play office in it. We sat on one limb and there was a limb
    about where are laps were so we used it as our desk. Three of us were sitting and pretending to type and
    you know play office stuff when the limb we were sitting on began to crack and finally it broke. We all
    grabbed the limb,that was our desk and held on laughing so hard until we dropped one by one. It wasn't so
    high up that we hurt ourselves, we just laid on the ground looking up at the broken limb laughing until we were crying! I was about 7 years old. ~smilies~d |:~)

    ReplyDelete