Sunday, February 28, 2010

THE DAY FRANK LOST HIS DRIVERS LICENSE..........

I have some great memories of my late brother Frank. One was due to my first 1940 Ford coupe. She was a fast rod hot when I finally got it all fixed up. It had a 1953 Mercury engine with three carburetors, aluminum heads and a full race cam. She was painted Bahama blue with red and white rolled and pleated upholstery. It had a three speed transmission in the floor. She was my pride and joy.
Frank asked to drive the car on the last day of school one year. I had taught him how to drive and he had only had his drivers license for a week. OK, Frank you can drive the 40 but you must take it easy with her she's real fast. Frank assures me he will take very good care of the 40. I was already out of school and still living at home and working for my Dad building houses.
Dad and I were sitting on the front porch in the swing when Frank pulled into the driveway later that day. Frank got out of the car and as he approached the front porch he had his head down. Dad sensed that some thing was wrong and ask Frank, "Son what's the matter?" " Doug Motlow took my drivers license away" Motlow was one of the two state troopers in our town. " Frank why did he take your license away? " I think it was because I squealed my tires." Frank isn't telling Dad all the story.
A boy in Frank's class had his brother's car for the last day of school and would get up behind Frank and try to pass him. Frank would gas the old 40 and leave him in the dust. It happens several times that day with the same results. Enter state trooper Motlow. Guess what; he had the same black Chevy as Kenneth is driving. It's Motlows personal car and he is on his way to pick up his patrol car at the highway garage. When he pulls up behind Frank on Cedar lane and tries to go around him; Frank thinks it's Kenneth and floors the 40 and runs down Cedar lane with the tires smoking. He has to stop for the red light and Motlow catches up at the light and is out of his car and takes Frank's license away and tells him to get his butt home.
The next day Dad calls Motlow and ask why did he took Frank's license away and Motlow ask Dad to meet him at Cedar lane market. When Dad goes and meets Motlow , Motlow says yes I took his license away. See that black tire mark that's two blocks long running down to the red light. That's why I took his license away, he wouldn't let me pass him. If that red light hadn't caught him he might have killed someone. I'm going to keep his license for two weeks and I hope it will slow him down.
This episode did slow Frank down and a couple of years later I sold him my 40 Ford coupe. I was to get the first chance to buy her back but when Frank went to sell her; we had started a family and I didn't have the money to buy her back. The guy he sold the car too totaled her when he hit a power pole after losing control.
That's me in front and Frank in back in 1962. This is the only photo I have of the 1940 Ford Coupe.

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's neat... Nowadays they would take his license, send it to the State as suspended. It would take paying a fine and a $300 re-instatement fee to recover it... Now I know what they mean by "the good old days"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story and what a great car!!! I want a 40 so bad .................. too pricey these days. Super picture of the two of you trouble makers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Nick, love your stories so much. That's a cool pic of you and Frank and that car is way cool!

    ReplyDelete