Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BABY WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY !!!!!!

I'm amazed at the technology I have seen advance during my life. I've not been one to jump into the latest gadgets on the market. We are usually the last of my relatives and friends to make a purchase of a new item. My wife was always the last to get that new appliance that saved her some work in the house or kitchen. Her sister was always the first one to get the latest new state of the art appliance. One Christmas I was determined that my wife was going to be the first one to get one of those new microwaves. Low and behold she was first and she thought I had gone off my rocker. She sure was proud of her new microwave and let everyone know about it.
Telephones have come a long way since her parents got their first phone. It has been handed down to her and I refinished it years ago when we moved into our new house. Man, it is ancient. To use that phone you had to ring up an operator that was on duty night and day. She would in turn connect you with the party you were trying to talk to. Each person in the area that had a phone had a certain ring that alerted that person that the call was for them.
Who would have thought that we would be carrying small phones that had no wires and we could stay in contact with everyone we know. I have always bad mouthed people using those dad-burn phones in public places and talking while driving. It annoyed me to no end when we went out to eat and someone close by got a phone call. " Yeah, we are at Shoneys eating" or what ever dining establishment we were at. People never say anything I've over heard that was that important. I sure didn't see any need for a cell phone. The kids all had them and wanted to get us one but we refused their offers.
Christmas this year as we opened our gifts we got a cell phone from my son as our present. He had put us on his plan. " Dad  and Mom it's all taken care of, my treat." Both of us thanked him for the gift but we don't like to use cell phones. He spent some time showing me how to work the phone. Hey, it's like a computer and after about 30 minutes I was hooked. I was texting and talking to everyone on my list of contacts the next day. My grand daughter has taught me a lot about the phone. I still turn it off while out to dine and don't text while driving. Wife will use it to talk on if I contact the person she wishes to speak . She still bad mouths the cell but it sure didn't take me long to change my mind on the advantages of having the latest technology.
From an old ancient monster phone to a cell phone proves that times have changed for the best. CALL ME????

8 comments:

  1. Using mobile phones here whilst driving is illegal, although that's never worried me, as much as I can multi-task (I am a woman after all lol), whilst driving I can only concentrate on that.

    Is that pic the actual old phone? You've done a great job on it if it is - looks like it's never been used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phone in the photo is the actual first phone my wife's family had. Hangs today on our den wall.
    I don't get a lot of calls on it???LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes that the hesitancy to use these new gadgets that come out stem from our lack of knowledge of them... Most of them, like The Ipod and the Wii, I have no need for, so I don't bother myself with getting acquainted with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just sitting here thinking about how far things have come in my world and my lifetime... The first vehicle I remember in our family was a 1936 International pick up...bought new for under $400... Our water came from a pump in the yard, Our bathroom was an outhouse, our lights depended on the wind blowing a bladed wind charger and charging a box of batteries on the back of the house.. Lights was about all it would operate, maybe the radio on a good night..We never had a telephone on the farm... Golly,,, I should have just written a blog on these facts..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the old rotary phones. Our first phone in town was one of those big black rotary phones that hung on the wall and we had call letters before the number. Our number was LA-9-2152 LOL You have a few years on me with a crank type but I do think we have progressed with the cell phones. Still they never work when you need them as I am always out of range of my tower or some dumb reason. My daughter has my phone set up so all I have to do is say the name of the person I want to call and I don't even have to dial it! Thank God for our kids. My son in law is hesitant about coming home because I always have a computer problem for him to fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had one of those wooden phones in the basement when I was a kid, in later years you could not call out, but we could still answer down there on it. I swore I would never get a cell phone either, then I met my husband and well I have had one ever since. I do almost nothing online with my phone, but I know how. Yeah we have progressed from the party line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Nick, I said the same thing about computers, ha ha ha. We have very simple mobile phones, but I've always found them handy. My ex and I had the first one of those. You had a huge part in the trunk of the car and the other part was big too. That was about 20 years ago, we have come a long way with mobiles as well....
    Can I ring you on that wooden one? lol

    ReplyDelete