Monday, February 15, 2010

BURGESS FALLS STATE PARK

A trip on Saturday of 100 miles from my home brought some amazing sight seeing. I have been hunting 10 red cedar boards for the old truck I'm building. All my searches around my area have been unsuccesful. I had seen an add on the net about some red cedar and called the man who had the cedar. He said he didn't actually have the cedar but he knew a man who has a sawmill that he buys lumber from. Well this just threw up a red flag and I didn't think it would be a good idea to travel 100 miles to be disappointed with the cedar. He told me he was going to the mill on some other business and he would see if the cedar was what I wanted. I wanted dry red cedar with very little white in it. He promised to call me the next morning but didn't. He did however called me on Friday night and said he was able to pick out 10 boards for me and had them at his barn. I sure was very apprehensive about going to pick them up and almost told him on the phone that I had changed my mind. Since he had went to the trouble of getting the cedar boards I decided at least I should go and check them out. I was sure he was buying these from the sawmill and was going to resell them to me if I like them.
My wife didn't want to get up early for the trip. I told her we could eat breakfast at Shoneys but she still didn't want to get up early. I called my son and he was ready for a road trip. Underway and we made it to Manchester and stopped at Shoneys for a breakfast buffet. Great food and when we came back out to my truck my son noticed the right front tire was real low on air pressure. I had checked and air all them up before I left home. He suggested we go down the road to Wal-Mart's Tire Service Center. They had just opened up and they got right on fixing my problem. We had decided that the value stem had gone bad when I put air in it at home and it had been frozen and might have cracked. Three men worked on getting the truck on the tire lift and got the tire and wheel off and replaced the value stem and put the tire and wheel back on and man was I amazed when they give me the bill to take inside to pay $2.20. The best deal I have ever got at Wallyworld.
A nice scentic drive by the directions the guy's wife had given me to their location. Several different highways, turns and roads. The directions were right on the money all except one that said go 4 miles and turn left on to their road. It was more like a country mile; it was 5 miles. Adam was waiting for us and I couldn't believe the 10 red cedar boards he had for me. They were just what I wanted!! The price was also very fair. There are  still a lot of honest people in this world. Since the road we were on was the Burgess Falls State Park I ask how far are we from the park and is there a waterfall. Two miles away and there are 4 waterfalls to see, We decided that since we are this close to the park we just have to see the waterfalls. Adam had said you want be disappointed and we weren't.
As we arrived at the parking lot and stepped out of the truck. The raging river was flowing at a very high rate of water over rocks and it was indeed a white water river. The roar of the water was over whelming. The sign said there were four different falls within a three quarter mile radius. One 20 feet, 40 feet, 80 feet and the big one 3/4 of a mile away was 136 feet tall. We begin walking down the path that was besides the river; it was very rugged and some spots on the trail were frozen and I almost slipped down once. Yes, I stay as far away from the river as the path allowed. Some places had railings  near the high bluffs. We incurred several flowing wet weather springs that cut across our path. The middle falls was very impressive to view and was 1/2 mile from the parking lot. Finally we arrive at the biggest falls and the roar of the water cascading over the rocks and falling 136 feet into the river below was indeed worth the trip and the walk. It amazes me at the natural sights we have around my home that we have never seen.
This trip I was reluctant to take turned out to be one I want forget.

4 comments:

  1. I love it when a road trip is successful. Hell I love a road trip that goes awry too .......... LOL Great scenery and the bed of that truck will look like new money with those cedar planks on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when things turn out well... But like Wade.. sometimes it is fun when they go awry.. unless it is an expensive mis-happening... Glad you found your lumber... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your journey turned out so well...I bet your wife wished she had went now? I love me some Shoneys breakfast buffet..

    ReplyDelete