Monday, December 31, 2007

47 YEARS WITH THE SAME WOMAN...

Entry for December 31, 2007 47 YEARS WITH THE SAME WOMAN !! magnify
47 years ago, at a very young age, we eloped and went to Georgia to get married. Carolyn was afraid of needles and would pass out when she had to get a shot. She wanted to return but I talked her into continuing on to Trenton. You could get your marriage license and blood test the same day and also have the ceremony. Once we arrived in Trenton it was off to get our blood test. Of all places to get this done, a real estate office. She explained to the man giving the blood test that she would faint. Oh, it want hurt I promise, you can be first said the man. She didn't faint and I was proud that she was a big girl about the test. Now it's my time to get my test. The needle is inserted and the next thing I know is I'm on the floor looking up at both of them. I had fainted, LOL now but back then it wasn't all that funny. I have never lived that down?? At the Church we had our ceremony with the minister and his wife. After he pronounced us man and wife I asked, how much do I owe you ?? He replied most give me $10.00, I gave him a $20.00 expecting $10.00 back but he kept the $20.00. I always tell that we got the expensive wedding.
Since we had eloped, no one knew where we were. Carolyn said we need to call home and tell our mom's and dads we are married. She called her mom and said, " Mom I'm married" her mom's reaction was, "Well WHO did you marry??" We had only gone together for 3 months. Yeah, everyone said it want last but after 47 years looks like we might make it. I found that SPECIAL WOMAN to spend the rest of my life with.

9 comments:

  1. when u got married i must have been just eleven , good show?
    elope and a marriage for 20 bucks of which ten bucks exactly fifty percent remained unnoticed.
    i think actually carolyn's mom when heard would have given a sigh of relief for minimising her (mom's) otherwise responsibility and also wedding expenses.

    for me also same woman i will not disclose the years, but i do see in her a sophia loren, a raquel welch, a diana, a marlyn, a anita ekberg and ursula andress in the same woman on imagination. i am a very frank man, as suns rays when passed through a prism gets a rainbow so does she become different at times of my mood depending upon my view finder.

    so me one man, she one wife, one daughter, one son in law, one son, one house as of now. and one grand daughter. all one only now.

    your blogging now makes me wish you apart from a happy new year, is it coinciding with your wedding anniversary also, turning a new leaf on new year that u got married on a 31st dec of 1960?
    ShankarG♥2♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you and your wonderful wife only the best!!!
    What a lovely story!
    Just shows- once there is true love--------------
    You two are blessed!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great story Nick and I believe that long romances, don't make a long marriage, I think you just know that special someone, and it looks like you did. Hope I am around for the big 50 party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations guys and may you have many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and all best wishes.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your romantic story, Nick. Congradulations on surviving all those years. I have done 20 with my hub, kind of seems hard to think of living to reach 47. :>) Best wishes to you both. Hug's, me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic. Isnt it strange that the people who say it wont last always seem to get divorced while you and I just smile and stay with the same woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a WONDERFUL love story!!!!! I Love to hear about eloping stories like that! Congradulations on the 47 years! HUGS! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is just the best story to start the year off with. Thank you for sharing. May 2008 be the year you look back on and declare it was one of the best!

    ReplyDelete