Monday, May 24, 2010

LIFE AND TIMES OF RUSTIE THE CAT......

My life started off with my birth. Mom was a black and white alley cat and dad was just traveling through the neighborhood. Two siblings and me. Each young child picked out a kitty, my luck I got the youngest, Gracie. That five year old was a terror to me. She grabbed me by the neck and held me like a rag doll. When she was through playing with me she simply tossed me to the ground. From those early times I made myself hard to catch. When she did catch me I fought and clawed and scratched her several times.
Her family was moving and I hid out so they couldn't take me to their new home. Up in the woods lives an old man and his wife. The man began to feed me but the woman of the house wanted nothing to do with me. She got the broom after me and chased me off. She would shoot at me with a BB gum but her aim wasn't very good. I heard her tell the old man get rid of that cat before she has kittens. She must have sensed that I was expecting. I did have three little babies in the back shed in a five gallon bucket half filled with sand. They both were surprised to find me and my new babies one morning in the bucket. I saw a slight change in her attitude toward me. She fixed a big box for my new family. Once my kitties were bigger she took us to an out building where the old man had cut an opening for me to exit and enter. We loved the new home. There was plenty of room for the kitties to run and play. One day when the kitties were older they went to new homes. It sure was sad to lose my kitties but that's life, I guess.
Later I heard the lady of the house say, " If that cat is going to stay I'm taking her to the vet and have her fixed." I spent two days at the Vet and soon came home. I can't believe what happened when I arrived back at their house. I got to stay in the basement with her. She attended to my every need. I had my own chair to curl up in and watch TV. Things were indeed looking great for me. We became friends after such a rough start. Two weeks ended way to soon staying in the basement. Looks like I'm going to be an outside cat after all.
I soon adjusted to my outside surroundings. I had my own living quarters in the shed leading to the basement. I began to hunt in the woods. You can't believe all the critters living in the woods. I've caught mice, rats, moles, chipmunks, snakes , lizards, squirrels, birds and rabbits. I always take them to the shed for them to see if I don't eat them. Most of the time they give me a treat and pat me on the back. They frown on me bring in birds.
I've been caught in his raccoon trap once at the garden but never again will my favorite food meow mix entice me into that cage?? I have a thing about entering doors as they open them. Once I went in his shop when the door was opened and he didn't see me. I got locked up over night and will avoid that from now on?? I'm a creature of habit, they laugh at me when I always know what time it is and come to eat. True is I can tell time by the sun?
I love to play with my catch. One day I brought in a chipmunk. I would toss it into the air and box with it. I would let it get away but spring to catch it again and again. What fun I was having with chipmunk. The darn thing ran up a tree and I spent the next hour waiting on it to come down and play soon more. They laughed and laughed at me and my antics.
They missed me the other day. I had slipped into the garage when she went in to get some soap. Bad mistake I spent the night and almost the next day sleeping until she found me and opened the door. I came out meowing like crazy telling them I didn't like being locked in there. Oh, when will they learn?? Otherwise life around here is great. Sorry I must go hunting while they are asleep. I think I want bird for breakfast?? Later MEOW!!!

4 comments:

  1. I know how that is.. She would win my heart also..

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, love your stories Nick. Would that be the neighbours cat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice story! LOL!!!
    Thanks for the post my friend. :o)

    ReplyDelete