Monday, May 10, 2010

DIRTY DISHES!!!!

He had lived a good life and was well respected by everyone who came in contact with Speedy. He received his nickname playing baseball in high school. He played center field and if a ball was hit; it didn't matter how far over his head it went Speedy would always run and catch the ball.
Him and his wife raised three sons. They all had some of Speedy's likeable traits. Later in life Speedy's health declined and he was confined to his bed and a wheelchair. His wife made sure Speedy's every needs were meet. All the times I was around Speedy during his last days on earth I never heard one complaint from him. He was always a joy to be around and talk with. He still enjoyed life even in the condition he was living. His wife would ask him where he was going when he came through the house in his wheelchair. He would reply, I'm going to Dallas, Texas."
Speedy went into the hospital at Saint Thomas in Nashville to have a feeding tube inserted into his body. The next day I had to take my sister to that hospital for her last cancer treatment. While I had to wait on her I found Speedy's room and went and stayed and talked with him. He was impressed watching some men working high in the sky on a building. He was high in spirits as I departed an hour later to wait for my sister.
Arriving the next morning at his house where I was remodeling their house; the housekeeper said, "Did you know Speedy died last night?" I sure was shocked to hear this news. I didn't have the heart to work that day so I returned home.
The Church was filled to capacity with Speedy's friends and family. The service was an inspiring one and quite different to anyone I had ever attended. Friends and family told stories about Speedy that inspired, touched and brought tears to those close to him.
My favorite story his classmate told about the time they came to spend a few days with him years ago. Speedy was a big time fan of Tennessee football and his wife had just cooked a big supper. After the meal the two men sat down to watch the game on TV. The girls decided to do the dishes but Speedy said y'all go ahead and go shopping and we with clean up the dishes during half time. His wife sure could make a big mess while she cooked. Speedy and his friend got involved in the game and before they knew it the girls would be back from shopping. As the game ended Speedy told the friend they would put all the dirty pots, pans and dishes under the sink and he would clean them up the next day while his wife was at work. Speedy forgot about the dishes and several days later his wife found all of them under the sink. The Church was filled with laughter.

4 comments:

  1. LOL Nick, he sounds like a lovely man..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could have happened at my house years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded like a great guy. Liked to have had a beer with him on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a great man, Love the post! :o)

    ReplyDelete