Tuesday, March 3, 2009

FISHING TRIP YEARS AGO WITH GRANDPA AND DAD.......

Our family always looked forward to our trips to spend time with Pa. and Granny. They lived in Fayetteville, Tn. just 30 miles from our home. They were Mom's family. I never knew my father's folks as they died while he was young. Pa and Granny's son Billy was almost the same age as me. Even though he was my Uncle he was only 3 months older than me. My Mom and Granny were pregnant at the same time. Mom's first child and Granny's last child. They must have shared some happy times together. Mom certainly looked forward to spending the week ends with her family. Mom, Granny and my sister Janice shared their time together while the men went on their Big Fishing Trips.
Pa only would fish one way; trotline fishing is the only way to fish he would tell us. We would arise early on Sat. mornings and Granny and Mom would have breakfast waiting for us before we would travel to a creek to catch bait for the fishing trip. We would catch minnows, crayfish and helimites. Pa also would take along some stinking chicken livers to use as bait.
Trotline fishing for those of you who never have heard of this method of fishing is a spacing of fish hooks tied to a strong line. The ends of the line with the hooks attached are tied off on the banks of the river to a limb or tree. The line and hooks are baited and set into the water out of danger from boats hitting them. Once the trotlines are baited and placed  Pa would leave them until Sun. morning. Up early and off to the river to see if we caught any catfish or redhorse. Pa and Dad would paddle the river boat to the lines and if they were moving you had fish on the line. Pa would pull the lines up and man look at that catfish. Once he had the fish in hand he tossed it into a toe sack. He would continue taking the fish off the lines. Pa always had a great catch. When all the fish were into the sack it was time to reclaim all the trotlines they had placed and get them into the boat. Careful with those sharp hooks. The lines always were in a mess after bring them into the boat and Pa would at a later date untangle the lines for the next fishing trip. These fishing trips are etched into my brain and were the happiest of early childhood. Once while Billy and I were in the boat a snake fell from one of the overhanging trees into the boat. I've always had a fear of snakes and the water. I never learned to swim. Well, when that snake fell into the boat and was curled up next to my feet I dove out of the boat  head first into the Elk River. Fortunate for me the water was only about two foot deep where I landed  and I skinned my head.
Once back to Pa and Granny's house the feast was on. A big black kettle was placed over an open fire hanging from a tripod. Into the pot filled with grease went the catfish that the men had filleted. Fried to a golden brown and when done they floated to the top. When all the fish were out of the pot hush puppies were cooked in the same pot. Granny had made slaw to go with the meal and just thinking back to these times makes my mouth water. On our return home we would get to take some catfish home with us for Mom to cook later. These were cooked on a wood stove but never tasted like those cooked outside by Granny. Life and time takes it's toll on families. Granny died from a black widow spider's bite at age 56. Pa lived a long life into his late 80's. Their times on this earth are remembered by their hard work and love for there fellow man.

9 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories.My uncle use to trot line fish.My aunt and him use to have a home on the Tenn river many years ago and he fished all the time.He loved to fish was his favorite thing .I remember every 4 of July when we back to Alabama where family was we always had a huge fish fry,That was the good old days.maudie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful, with your description I can picture it all - especially you diving into the water! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. helimites???? what's them??

    Man what I wouldnt give for southern fried catfish again............Haven't even thought of them since my granny died in the 70's. A black Widow bite...sheeesh you don't hear a lot of people dying from those. Great blog Nicko.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catfish is the best ! I surely miss those leisurely days....lots of fun, and some good food ! Once a year I see the crawdads come out of the lake, but never see them in the creeks now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wade, I didn't get the spelling right on helimites. Spelling check didn't either. Spelling should have been--hellgrammite. It's an insect that lives in creeks under stones. In it's larva state in wiggles around when put on a fish hook as bait. If you weren't careful catching them they would pinch you hand. When it leaves the water as an adult it has wings and is a Dobson fly. And now you know the rest of the story. Thanks for your comment. I always look forward to our visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick, I really enjoy reading these incredible old time blogs. My grandfather, my Mom's dad used to fish in the Great Lakes and when he too passed away I got his old fishing bag filled with awesome flyes and other neat slightly mildewed gear. I was in my somewhat, stronger life, a passionate and very patient fishing woman in our lakes 'n ponds. I have actually caught some medium catfish. I even put my own worms on the hook, but in all honesty I felt guilty thinking of the worm. I love catfish panfried in cornmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Memories, Loved this post!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful blog!! Just writing it, I bet you wanted to have a get together and have a fish fry!!! I know it sounds like fun. What a wonderful time you had growing up and what great memories!!!
    Have to say that old big cat fish at the end is one mean looking dude!!!

    ReplyDelete