Friday, March 27, 2009

THE DAY THE LAW RAN ME OUT OF TOWN .........

I have always believed that every thing happens for a reason. Some are good and some turn out bad. Well, this experience when I was still single and riding around in my 1954 Ford convertible started out on the good side.
My convertible was my pride and joy when I was going to college. In the summer I worked with my father building houses. This was how I made my money to buy my car and attend college. I was one cool dude back in the younger days. We were building a house near a small town call Wartrace and once a week we would go into the little town to eat lunch at the only cafe. A cute waitress worked there and caught my eye. After several trips to eat lunch I wrote her a note and told her where to find it after I left. I didn't want the other guys to tease me if she refused. In the note I asked her for a date. The next time I went to eat she said her mother would have to meet me and would I come to her house on Sat. evening. She told me she had broke up with her boy friend of two years before meeting me.
Sat. I spend the morning washing and cleaning my convertible. I arrived at her house with the top down and was nervous having to meet her mother. Her mother told me she could not go out with me until she got to know me better. I could come to her house any time on the week end and visit . This ain't going like I wanted it but I went along for a few weeks. The girl told me her family really like her x-boyfriend and her mother was against me going with her. I found out that my high school basketball coach was her uncle and he had put in a good word in for me.
On a Sat. visit to her house her brother told me she was in the hospital. I went to the flower shop and bought flowers to take to her. When I went into the girls room everybody went out into the hall not very happy to see me with the flowers. I did score a bunch of points with the girl bring her the flowers. No points with the mom???
Once the girl was home and on my next visit it hit the fan!!!! Her mom flat out told me I was not going to date her daughter. " I know what you Tullahoma boys are after," she told me. This made the girl cry and she said she was sorry about what her mom said to me. Well, I could see I was not wanted around her daughter so I got in my car and roared out of the driveway. I had to go back through town and saw her X-boyfriend and he motioned for me to stop in the parking lot. We were having a friendly talk and he said he didn't have any trouble with me seing her. Shortly a deputy sheriff pulled up to where we were talking and came up to me and said, " You get out of town now and I better not see you here again." The guy told him we were only talking and I wasn't causing him any trouble..Turns out the deputy is the brother to the girls mom. As I'm getting into my car to leave he says." Don't ever let me see you back in Wartrace."
Twenty years later I had to go through Wartrace, my cap was down over my eyes, sunglasses on, and I had a beard. He didn't even see me???

8 comments:

  1. enjoyed the story...I've never been asked to leave town but did get a few rides home in a police car

    ReplyDelete
  2. lBeing the mean Hombre that you are, I'm not surprised... LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you'd got older - that was probably why he didn't recognise you lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that family was testing you Nick :>).

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a bad ass!! they knew a ruffian when they saw one, you nooo goodnik!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, did she ever marry her old boyfriend, and even more important, did you eat at the Cafe, the next week, and did the house get finished.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any idea about what happen to her, I can't even remember her name. I do know her mom had me pegged right. Finished the house and didn't go eat at the cafe again. Every thing happens for a reason?

    ReplyDelete