Wednesday, May 7, 2008

SNIPE HUNTING.....

First, I must define what snipe hunting is in the South. Snipes are not existing fowl that new inexperience boys or girls have to hunt when they are in a group that's camping out in the woods. It's a prank that's always pulled on first timers in the group. You are given a burlap sack and sent out into the woods to hold your sack open while the older ones make a lot of noise and scare the snipes into running into your sack. My spine hunt was my first camping trip as  a new member of the Boy Scouts.
The excitement of going on my first camping trip put me on a high for several days before the trip. The troop was going to spend two days camping in the wild, cooking our food, learning about nature and some of us were going on this BIG SNIPE HUNT. The first night we sat up our camp site with tents and placed a circle of stone for our camp fire. We learned how to cook a potato in the fire by mixing water with dirt and forming a mud shell over the spud and placing it into the fire. Pork and beans  were put into a big pot hanging from a iron tripod over the fire. I do remember that was good eating. After the meal the scoutmasters were off some where out of sight and some of the older boys threw cans of unopened beans into the fire and soon they exploded sending flaming wood embers into the woods and started some small fire that turned into larger fires. Man was those scoutmasters surprised to find the area where we were camping on fire when they reappeared!! We all fought the fire and not a lot of damage to the woods. This didn't qualify us to get a merit badge for firefighting.
The scoutmaster announced the names of the new scouts that would be going on the Big Snipe Hunt. Man, we all thought this was so Cool. Little did we know at the time it was just a prank on us greenhorns. He said, " Each one of you take a sack and go down in the valley and we will stay up on the hill an make a lot of noise and the snipes will run toward you, hold you sack open and the snipes will run into your sack, the scout who catches the most snipes will get a prize. Darkness is upon us as we descend into the valley with anticipation. I just know I will win that prize. Sprinkles of rain begin as we are in place for the hunt. The others on the hill are making noise with shouts and whistles and here comes those snipes at us below. My sack is open wide but I haven't caught a one. I'm wondering why?? Well I found out later that all of us didn't catch a snipe. It begins to rain harder and I run back up the hill and go into my tent. The other hunters make it back to camp but Nick is missing. They form a search party to go and try to find me out in the woods but they don't know I'm in my tent several yards away with it pouring down rain.
I'm finally found asleep in my tent after an hours search by the wet scouts and scoutmasters. I guess my snipe hunt didn't go too bad? I never have caught one of those snipes but who knows I might???

7 comments:

  1. OHHHHHHHHHH Nick I remember so well both my first snipe hunt and the first time i got to replay the joke on some rookies, almost as much a ritual as the ghost stories told around the campfire.

    GIVE ME BACK MY GOLDEN ARM................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience of snipe hunting, Nick! I'm just new to the States here and I'm learning new things all the time. Sounds like you had a fantastic time on your camp anyways. And thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment... blessings to you and yours..

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT STORY...I didn't know this was a real bird until I looked it up sevral years ago

    In Oregon we have a season for Snipe. I hope you were hunting in season or you could be
    in trouble.LOL

    Game Birds: Any waterfowl, snipe,
    band-tailed pigeon, dove, pheasant,
    quail, partridge, grouse, or wild turkey

    Snipe season Statewide Concurrent with duck seasons listed

    DAILY BAG LIMIT 8
    POSSESSION LIMIT16
    see this page http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/upland_bird/docs/07_08gamebirdweb.pdf
    Pages 10 and 16 of the Oregon dept of fish and wildlife game bird regulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw your comment on cheza's pag and just had to come read your snipe hunt story...lol

    ReplyDelete