Friday, May 16, 2008

NIKOLA TESLA........1856-1943

I must have missed that day in school. I can't remember studying about this man and all his accomplishments. The man was an electrical genius. He is responsible for almost everything pertaining to electricity. He patented over 700 invention during his life time. After watching the History Channel story on his life I became intrigued with this person.
Born in Serbia and educated in Belgrade he began a career in studies and inventions of machines never before known to mankind. In 1884 he arrived in New York City with 4 cents and a few poems and some diagrams of his inventions along with an letter of introduction to Thomas Edison. The letter read." I know two Genius Mr. Edison, YOU, and the young man standing in front of YOU." Edison hired Tesla right on the spot. Edison had promised Tesla a 50,000 bonus for some of his inventions while he work for him. After these inventions were patented by Edison, Tesla asked for his bonus and Edison just laughed at him to which Tesla replied , " Mr. Edison I resign!!"
From this time on the two men would become competitors. Edison invention of DC power,(battery) he though would be the power of the future. Tesla on the other hand believed that his AC current,( alternating current) was the future. Tesla went to work for George Westinghouse and would receive royalties for his inventions while working for Westinghouse. Together they won the contract to light the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893. Edison would not let Tesla use his invention of the light bulb for this project so Tesla invented a totally different type of light bulb in less than 6 months and lighting the fair was a huge success.
The first power plant in the World was another of Tesla's achievement's. Along with Westinghouse, they won the contract to build and install an electrical power plant to harness the power of Niagara Falls. This project bore Tesla's name and patent numbers and in 1896 carried the first power to a city Buffalo, N.Y. As we can see that Tesla is responsible for almost every thing electric in our world. Perhaps this man was not given all the credit he deserved during his life time.
" One of the outstanding intellects of the world who paved the way for many of the technological developments of modern times."

5 comments:

  1. I wish I received the History Channel. My husband talks about this man all the time, and I know he would love to have seen the program. I never realized he was so conventional. When I think of him, I visualize someone a little bizarre and into alternative things. Perhaps I need to do a little research, so I know what my husband is talking about. Thank you for this blog post. You have sparked my sense of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first learned of Tesla in the movie 'The Illusionist' with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.. David Bowie played the part of Tesla, and that's when my husband filled me in a little about him. Yes, he should have been given far more credit for his inventions than he has. Thanks for the interesting blog, Nick, I'll have to read this to my hubby...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whow - that is fascinating. I had never heard of him before now. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh yea NIko, he is one of my preferate persons whom I would really love to meet if I could travel in time. Yea and there are even more things he has done...but all that was hidden not to cause problems for big companies (companies that Edison also was involced in) in earning even more money. He made such powerplants and such ways of transmitting electricity that we wouldn`t need wires at all, but that`s not in the interest of the big eletricity companies, cos in this way they would not earn a penny. Ohhh and what about his car he was driving? He didn`t need gas, gasoline or neither water for that... ohhhhh I love this theme. You are great you wrote about it. Dear Niko, I wish you a wonderful time. I think of you even if I`m not much online nowadays. Hugs and much love to you. Julianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant write up Nicko AND I found it very engrossing to read about him here. Gives any young one with a brain for inventions to go for it. More inventions are surely to come yet.

    ReplyDelete