Wednesday, April 23, 2008

MY FIRST 1940 FORD ADVENTURE...................

Entry for April 23, 2008 MY FIRST 40 FORD COUPE ADVENTURE... magnify
Man, when we are young we do some stupid things. Well. OK, I'm speaking for myself. I had a passion to own and fix up a 1940 Ford Coupe while still in high school. I looked high and low for a car to fit my passion.
A friend while traveling to Chattanooga saw an old 40 for sale at a country store he stopped at in Tracy City and told me how to find the store. My younger brother and I set out to located the store and the 40 Ford for sale. I was driving my 1954 Ford Convertible with the top down. Man, I was one KOOL Dude, but back them we didn't call our self's dudes. Tracy City was located about 45 miles from where I lived and we had to travel up a mountain called Mounteagle. Yes, we got lost and had trouble finding the store but finally succeeded.
There SHE was sitting next to the country store just as I was told. She's a little rough, rusty, no motor but I see a beauty want to be. In the store I ask the man who owns the old 40, he replied, "Son I do." " Sir how much do you want for her?" " I will take $125.00 for her son." I asked him, "Would you take $100 for her, that's all I have." OK, son put your money were your mouth is. Out comes my money and the deal is made. "Sir, I will have to come back next Saturday and pull in home, can I have the title. The title is signed over to me and I'm very excited to have my dream car.
The next Saturday I talk a guy I work with in the summer to go with me and my brother to pull the car back to Tullahoma. He will drive my convertible and pull the 40 back to my house. I borrow a old tow bar that will be hooked to both cars. Since the 40 has no motor or brakes I decide I will ride in it on the way back. We hook up the tow bar to both bumpers and with a chain and some bailing wire the tow bar is now SAFE????????? The tires are aired up good at the stores pumps.
Time to hit the road! Man, this 40 rides good I'm thinking to my self. What an idiot I am, riding in a car with no BRAKES hooked bumper to bumper with an old tow bar, bailing wire and chains getting ready to go down a steep mountain grade. Hang ON!!
Things are going well so far, we stop and check out the hook up. Looks Ok!! Now it's on our final descend of about 4 miles and we will be off the mountain. We are into the last curve about 200 feet from the bottom when the tow bar, chain and baling wire breaks and I'm in for the ride of my LIFE. I Pass the car pulling me, No BRAKES but the old car has steering. I'm in the wrong lane as I pass him and another car is approaching me, Harold slows the convertible down and this allows me to get back in the right lane and miss the car coming at me. After the car approaching me clears the 40, Harold speeds up and gets in front of me and begins to back his speed down so I will hit bumper to bumper and this brings both cars to a stop finally. We finally make the trip home in one piece and I have thanked the LORD many times that it wasn't my time to die. Man, as I look back I sure was lucky that the car didn't come lose higher up on the mountain.
The old 40 was fixed up and made a great car and when I married I later sold It to my brother who kept it for several years.

3 comments:

  1. wow what a story , those days are gone but they are fond memories for you hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering that must make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
    Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and what would she be worth now...Not the wife dear the car..wink wink..Hugzzzz.

    ReplyDelete