Sunday, April 6, 2008

FEARS...

Entry for April 04, 2008  FEARS.... magnify
Everyone has a fear of something in life. You say you don't but deep down we all have a fear or phobia. In my early childhood, I was afraid of storms. Mother had a fear of storms and would gather me and my siblings and tells us to lie on the bed until the storm passed. Mother never conquered her fear of storms. I outgrew my early fear of storms but to this day when it gets stormy I instantly think of mother.
They say confessions are good for the soul so I will confess to what fears me. SNAKES, I am totally scared of Snakes!! I was once bitten by a snake when I was 12 years old. I had been blackberry picking and something bite my leg. My leg began to swell and when I got home my uncle told mother we had better get him to the doctor. They never knew what kind of snake nailed my leg but I was sick for several days. Yes, Snakes scare the crap out of me!!!!
In our area of Tennessee we have several species of poison SNAKES. The rattleSNAKE, copperhead and the cottonmouth. Heck I don't care if they are poison or not, if it's a SNAKE, I'm running the opposite way in high gear. Once fishing, the fish were jumping on the other side of the creek. To get across there were several stones in the shallow water that you could step on and reach the other side without getting wet. On the last stone you needed to jump about 4 feet to hit the ground. While in the air, I'm thinking SNAKE. SURE enough I landed on a BIG BLACK SNAKE coiled up . Retreated back across the creek and missed all the stones.
Here at home when I see a SNAKE, I get the hoe and call my wife to kill it. The hoe doesn't have a long enough handle for me to kill that SNAKE.
I would like to hear what you are feared of. Might be fun.

3 comments:

  1. Aww Nicko yes storms do worry many people and rightly so they are Nature and we must respect Natures force. Snakes are not a fav of mine either and I have accidentally run over them with my bike when younger. We lived up in the hills and snakes lived there too. Actually they live around here as well LOL but I keep away. I do not like spiders. Not fear just dislike. All the best to you Nicko and wow your wife is a brave one LOL. Hugs from Milli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would probably say BEARS! (for good reason) They've started to re-populate this area with black bears..not a good idea, I think. It's not the baddest bear on the block but are still capable of killing a man in 10 seconds or less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh where to begin! lol I am feared of storms, just like your Mom! That have become worse the older I get. I were not that scared when I were a child.

    I also fear snakes, spiders, whasps and bees! We only have one snake that is poisinous but I fear all snakes lol.

    You sure got a brave woman there! I am so silly and have a hard time to kill a small spider lol.

    ReplyDelete