Tuesday, January 8, 2008

WATERMELON HEIST

Blog Entry
for everyone
Growing up in our teenage years life becomes a great adventure, this was true in my case. In my teen years there were no drugs, no beer or whiskey in my town . Yes, I guess you could call my town a one horse town. We did do things to amuse ourselves back in those days and I will share a night three friends and myself went on a watermelon mission??. OK , a mission sounded better than we went to steal some melons.
Charles had a black 1946 Chevy and drove that dark night to a watermelon field near Woods Lake. Plans had been made as we traveled about 10 miles to the field loaded with ripe watermelons just waiting for the four of us. Larry's uncle lived next to the man's farm near the lake and it had been his idea for the great heist. " Guys you wouldn't believe how many big melons are in that patch." The melon patch was a distance away from the owners house and he would never know we were there? Wrong!!
On our arrival Charles pulled the old Chevy into a wooded area near the field. Each of us were to enter the field and bring back melons and put them into the trunk. Off we go on our mission, things were going as planned and we had almost filled the trunk with our bounty. G.W. says, " guys lets get out of here before we get caught." Guys I have seen the biggest melon in the field and I want to go get just one more. OK, Nick go get it and we will wait for you. I arrive at the location of the biggest melon I have ever seen. That big boy must weigh 75 pounds. It's all I can do to get it into my arms and head back to the car. A voice in the distance rings out, "STOP OR I'M GOING TO SHOOT!!!!" My heart is in my throat as I begin to run with that big melon! A shotgun blast ring out into the night air! I'm saying a little prayer as I run , Lord if you will pick up these feet I will put them down! Why didn't I drop that big melon, I'm sure I could run faster but no I'm not giving up this baby. In my haste I hit another melon with my feet and fall and my prize burst into several pieces. I finally make it back to the car and shout, "Get out of here he's got a shotgun!" We later eat some of the melons and gave some away but mine didn't taste all that good. To this day I have a hard time eating watermelon. NOT!!!!

6 comments:

  1. The silly shit we do as kids..............can see you now trying to run. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent history and authentic is the best of all the things that happen to a young man and not, and never forgets to tell the story to anyone laugh is a gift a gift from God that no one owns, is a thrilling story , thank you for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. great times were had by all of us while kids, i know i was a tom boy , always with the lads, getting dirty and ripping my clothes , fun times hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't say I've ever done anything like that, but Barry talks about his brothers scrumping in England as a lad. Barry says he was a good boy and didn't do it.. (Scrumping: stealing fruit, especially apples - helping themsleves to apples over the fence in the orchard in the neighbourhood).
    Hugs, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad told me that they only cut a 'plug' out of the center and left the rest -what a waste !
    watermelon was one of my favorite treats as a kid . I still LOVE watermelon

    ReplyDelete