Sunday, January 13, 2008

GOATMAN AND MR. PRESIDENT....

Today we are going to reminisce back in time to an event that always brings a smile to my face.
The year was 1951 and I was a young lad of 13. Big things were happening in the town I grew up in and went to school. The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, HARRY S. TRUMAN was coming to our town, Tullahoma, Tennessee. The Federal Government had selected a site near here and had constructed the World's Largest WIND TUNNEL. Most of the equipment had been secured from Germany after the war. This test facility would test engines, planes, rockets and space hardware and has put Tullahoma on the World map. Many scientist, engineers, and technical craftsmen live in the area around Tullahoma.
President Truman, was coming to town to dedicate the Arnold Engineering Development Center and it was also the Bicentennial for our town. The big event was held on Jackson Street and on the South Jackson School Grounds. All eyes of the large crowd was on the viaduct as the President's motorcade came across and took the President to the waiting grandstands for his speech. A large flat bed trailer in front of the Hawkersmith house on South Jackson served as the President's speech platform. I'm sure he gave a great speech but another event was happening on the school grounds and was attracting a mass of people. A large crowd had gathered around an old man and a herd of goats and an old wagon. It was none other than the world famous GOAT MAN who was stealing the President's thunder. One Mr. Charles "Ches" McCartney along with about 20 goats an old wagon with everything you could imagine hanging to the wagon, old pots, pans, lanterns and all the items he needed to travel. Man what a sight, Dirty, stinking smells filled the air, part goats and part Ches. The goatman traveled across all 48 states according to eyewitness and even to Alaska and Canada. In his travels he excepted donations and sold photos of himself and his goats. It is said he walked most of the time beside the wagon with his beloved goats and milked them on the road and drinked the milk. He lived a rugged life yet somewhat romantic, noble and in solitude. He lived to the ripe old age of 98 and died in Jeffersonville, Georgia after traveling thousands of miles across this country. Perhaps he smiled that day in Tullahoma as he upstaged one of the most powerful men in the world.

6 comments:

  1. Morning Nick,

    Neat story there. And great to know that the working man can steal the lime light from the President. :)

    Have a great day!

    PS. Hope this sounded right? *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he did smile that day. Guess what I got in the mail yesterday?? An invitation to my 50th class reunion. Omg, am I that old???? lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, much more appeal to a schoolboy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when President Kennedy came to town--he landed on the grounds of the school for the deaf down the street from us -Grandpa and I walked down to the corner to watch the motercade and were the only ones standing there . Grandpa said " Hello Jack" and the president said
    'Hi Pop' He then made eye contact with me , nodded and waved ---I was one thrilled teen that day!
    I didn't mind missing his speach so much . (every one else was at the site of the speach waiting for his arrival ) I had never in my life seen such a tanned man ! I just hope my chin wasn't still on the sidewalk when he looked at me .LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memory. I once visited the Truman Library when I was 13. When I was in grade school, I wrote to Ike and received one very real looking letter back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading the Goatman 1 and 2 and I was wondering what was your fascination about him and so I decided to go back to your old blogs. Now I know why. Well, I know what fascinates me about Goatman was his dedication to spread the Gospel. Amazing. I could easily say he was living for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete