Tuesday, June 7, 2011

SUN DROP COLA......MY FIRST ONE....

Do you remember the first time you tried some thing new?? Maybe a new food or drink. Looking back in time I remember the first time I sampled a new soda called Sun Drop.
Charles Lazier came up with the idea for a refreshing citrus soda in 1949 while driving around his home town. He jotted down the ingredients and gave them to his son Charles Jr. The next move was genius; Sun Drop Cola was born.
The cola hit a few stores in a few states in the South in 1951. We had a small neighbor store on Franklin Street called Scott's run by two elderly sisters. Going to the store for a soda and peanuts the Double Cola truck was parked at the store. The cola driver was giving away a new soda to customers. It was Sun Drop and I got a free one. At the time all sodas were only five cents. It was different in taste and I didn't particular like it at the time. I wasn't going to switch from my Pepsi.
Time goes on and old Sun Drop becomes a top seller around the Southern States. People became addictive to the cola. My son's friend in the Marines would have his parents UPS him two cases of Sun Drop to California since it wasn't sold in all States. Sun Drop crossed many State lines in those early days. Just like Coors Beer. Beginning this year Sun Drop has gone Nationwide for the first time. Nothing beats a refreshing Sun Drop on these hot summer days. This cola is very popular with the younger generation. We old folks enjoy it too!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol... thought you were going to say that there was a bit of cocaine or something in it to make it addictive. I think sugar is addictive enough....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a revelation like that when I had my first Mountain Dew! These old memories are fun aren't they?

    ReplyDelete