Friday, July 15, 2011

TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE......

They built a new high school. Torn down the old one I attended for two years. The old school grounds had a football stadium, baseball field and a detached gym as well as an elementary school. Progress through the years as a new school is almost completed at the East Lincoln Street site. The only original building that will remain is the old Industrial shop .
My first job one summer was hitting baseballs and softballs up against the brick shop wall. We were testing them for durability. Some would tear up in two or three hits while others took many hits to damage. Eighteen dollars for that week's work.
The old elementary school, grades 1 through 6 holds some special times in my early childhood. It also holds some low points. Played hooky one time and got caught. Worked in the lunch room for a free meal. Remember my first kiss near the school. Play tackle football at recess on a cinder field. Broke a classmate's leg during a tackle. Push another classmate off the porch down onto some bicycles 8 feet below. He tried to drown me while I was learning to swim. At the time it was justified?? Appointed a school crossing guard the next year after the hooky ordeal. I was the only one of four who didn't get a paddling. The principle caught me coming after class to get Bobby's new bike the day we played hooky. That didn't go as planned. " Hey Nick I'll let you ride my new bike if you will go to school and get it for me." You BIG DUMMY!!
My late brother, Frank was starting school at East Lincoln. We lived about four blocks away from the school. Mother walked Frank to school that first day and got him into his room. Frank was crying and didn't want to go to school. When Mom returned home Frank was setting on the front porch still crying. He took a short cut home through the woods. Mom whipped him all the way back to school. After about two days of this Frank decided he better get an education.
The new school can be seen it the back ground of the photo. I hope it will through the years create memories for students in the future. Buildings can be hazes to the ground but fond memories from childhood will remain for ever.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet memories Nick, and you tell them so well!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old high school wasn't torn down, but this summer it has added an addition that equals at least as much square footage as the original one offered. Plus it was given a face lift that makes it barely recognizable now...The nice concrete and stone benches that my graduating class left to the school have been demolished and carried away... and life goes on...

    ReplyDelete