Friday, April 29, 2011

ALABAMA TORNADO SUPRISE......

Our heart and prayers go out to the all the people in our neighboring state of Alabama who lost their lives and property. More tornadoes have happened in the USA this year than any time before.
We lost some trees near our house during the storm but nothing like the people of Alabama suffered. I went outside yesterday morning early to survey any more damage around our house. A big tree just outside our den windows blew down while I was watching the high winds Wednesday night. Lucky for us it fell away from the house. I discovered two more big trees down in the rear of my shop. One was on the ground while the other one was lodged in another tree. In the 27 years we have lived in these woods only one tree near our house has fell because of a storm. This year in the last month we have had nine trees to fall. A few were rotten at the ground but most were big healthy trees that were up rooted from their place in the ground for well over a 100 years.
A piece of paper on our deck caught my eye as I walked around the back of the house with my camera to take photos of the tree at the den windows. I was still able to read the typing on the sheet of wet paper. It was the minutes from a meeting in which the motion to pay for the spouses lunch was voted on by the Bear Creek Housing Authority. I googled it and found in was in Bear Creek, Alabama. This I found out was 113 miles from my home. The winds had carried this piece of paper to my deck. I also found some other debris in the grounds around our house, a piece of paneling, tar paper, insulation and other papers. I ever found a page from a bible. I'm sure each one of these items could tell some hair raising stories.
Thanks for the internet I was able to track where the paper on the deck came from. The oddity that Bear Creek, Alabama is in the same named county as I live; Franklin County.

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those folks who have lost homes and loved one to these terrible storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the terrible destruction and all the heartbreak. I am so glad to read that you and your's are safe, Nick. Thank you 4 letting us know. These aweful events can happen to any of us, so it is a blessing if we are being protected and may send our concerns to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you and your family and property are safe Nick.
    I hate weather lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew seeing that tree falling must have been a shock while you were watching the winds. Glad you are ok, but what a pity you lost so many trees. The pictures we are getting on tv of the USA tornados are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really believed before that the end is near... but with all the erratic weather, flooding, tornados, tsunamies, earth quakes all over the world... I'm beginning to believe that we are getting closer.

    ReplyDelete