Wednesday, October 14, 2009

SLEEPING......TOO MUCH OR LACK OF????

My, it's amazing how much of our life is spent sleeping. The normal amount of sleep an adult spends is 8 hours per day. That is a sum of 33 % of your life. I fell like Rip Van Winkle when I calculated the years I have slept, 23.1 years!!! The body and brain need sleep in order to function at its capacity.
No one has the same sleep patterns. On one hand I don't have any trouble going to sleep normally. I have trouble when I wake up in the night to go to the bathroom. When I return to bed and can't go back to sleep, I find I might as well go ahead and get up regardless of the time. My wife has always had a very hard time going to sleep. 2:00 a.m might be early some nights for her. I have always called her a night owl. You better not wake her early in the mornings, maybe after 10:00 a.m if you are brave. 
I'm finding that after supper I need a short nap. Not for long just about 30 minutes and I'm good till 10:00. There are many sleep disorders. Some people suffer from insomnia, lack of sleep. Sleep apnea, disturbed sleep like snoring and narcolepsy, excessive sleep.
My wife tells me I snore and she can raise the roof snoring. Years ago when we hadn't been married long she insisted she didn't snore. One morning while she was snoring I crawled under the bed plugged up a tape recorder and recorded 5 minutes of her snoring to prove my point. Guess what??? When I played the recording back to her I didn't have a thing on the recorder, I had pushed the wrong button. LOL!!!! Well, it's raining here this a.m and all this talk about sleep has made me sleepy.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ another hour or two out of life.

7 comments:

  1. You and I seem to have the same problem... By the time I wake up enough to make it to the bathroom safely, I am wide awake and then it takes a couple of hours for me to get sleepy again... I guess I just need to stop drinking anything after 4:00pm or so and maybe I wouldn't have to get up in the night... And an afternoon nap is no longer a luxury, it is a necessity... But I like to have mine around 3:00..And about 30 mins. is sufficient to hold me through until bedtime.....Have a great day Nick... hugggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bouts of insomnia and once its started its hard to get out of. Doesn't matter how tired I am I will just lay there tossing and turning and other times I can get too sleep quite quickly, but then wake an hour or so later (for whatever reason - I'm a light sleeper) and then not be able to get off again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I don't sleep well.... only 4 - 6 hours a night, and I keep on vowing to do something about it as I've read lack of sleep is behind a few problems... overweight, memory problems etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i fall asleep in the recliner about 8 or so, hubby wakes me at 9 and i go to to bed with a book which he removes from my sleeping hands at 10pm. i wake up at 2am and cant get back to sleep. makes for a long night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha Nick, you cold have described me and Kev down to a T lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I don't sleep well...
    I need want sleep like a baby.. LOL!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell I never have that trouble. I can sleep while standing in line at the super market............ LOL

    ReplyDelete